From protecting our coastlines to creating better homes and regenerating cities, planners help make better places.

So the planners who help to plan our urban and rural spaces carry a big responsibility…they are doing nothing less than planning the world we live in.

Why Planning?



Apart from good grades in English and Maths, you won’t need to have specific GCSE (or equivalent) subjects. But if you’re choosing your options, subjects like geography, citizenship, science or ICT may be useful.

A levels

If you’re choosing your A levels (or equivalent), the following subjects will be useful: art and graphic design, business studies, economics, English, environmental studies, geography, history, ICT, psychology, and politics.


To become a Chartered Town Planner you must study for an RTPI-accredited undergraduate or postgraduate course. However, if you study for a non-RTPI accredited undergraduate degree, or a degree in an unrelated subject, it won’t be a problem. You can always take an RTPI-accredited postgraduate degree later.

3 Year Honours Degree + 1 Year Diploma or MA + 2 Years in practice – After two years in practice you can apply to become a Member of the Royal Town Planning Institute (RTPI) Visit to find out more.

Vocational qualifications

If you would prefer to take a more vocational planning-related qualification, such as an NVQ, HND or HNC, this could qualify you for work as a planning technician or enforcement officer. If you then want to take a planning degree you’ll need to check the entry requirements of individual universities or look at the UCAS website. Alternatively, you may want to try to get some work experience at a local council or private consultancy.